Home  |  Search  |  Privacy  |  Terms of Use  |  Contact Us  |  Site Map

Important Notices

Board Members Wanted!

Regional Subdivision and Development Appeal Board


The Regional Subdivision and Development Appeal Board (SDAB) is a quasi-judicial board that hears appeals on planning decisions made by several municipalities across Central Alberta. The SDAB is responsible for conducting impartial, fair and timely hearings. The SDAB serves the following municipalities:


Summer Village of Burnstick Lake

Town of Bentley

Village of Alix

Summer Village of Gull Lake

Town of Millet

Village of Caroline

Summer Village of Parkland Beach

Town of Olds

Village of Clive

Summer Village of Rochan Sands

Town of Penhold

Village of Donalda

Summer Village of Sundance Beach

Town of Ponoka

Town of Three Hills

Town of Rocky Mountain House

Town of Rimbey

Town of Trochu


Applications are being accepted for Board Members to serve on the SDAB for a two or three year term. More information about the SDAB and the Board Member position is available in the Recruitment Profile.  A Code of Ethics for Board Members is also available.

icon Recruitment Profile for Regional SDAB 

 icon Code of Ethics for Members of the SDAB

Applications can be submitted using one of the following forms:

 icon SDAB Application Form

 icon SDAB Application Form (word)


Applications are due by Friday, December 7, 2018 and can be emailed to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .




Are you interested in making fair decisions on property assessments?


  • experience serving on administrative boards or quasi-judicial boards
  • professional or legal writing abilites and computer skills
  • a flexable schedule, with availability during the day to attend traing and hearings (about three days a month)

The Regional Assessment Review Board is an impartial, independent board responsible for issuing decisions on complaints relative to property assessments.  Successful candidates will receive training from Municipal Affairs and remuneration for their responsiblities.

Questions?  Call 403.342.8132 or go to reddeer.ca/RARB

APPLY TODAY  Deadline to apply is November 30, 2018.  Submit you coverletter and resume: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .





Water Act



Notice is given that Town of Rimbey has filed an application under the provisions of the Water Act for a Licence for the diversion of up to 210,400 cubic metres of groundwater for the purpose of Municipal (Town Water Supply) located at NW 34-042-02-W5  from a well.  The production interval of the well is from 11.9 m to 22.9 m. 

 Any person who is directly affected by the application may submit a statement of concern to:


Environment and Parks

Regulatory Approvals Centre

5th Floor, South Petroleum Plaza

9915 108 Street


Phone:  780-427-6311

Fax:  780-422-0154

Email: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it


Within 30 days of providing this notice.


The written statement of concern should include the following:

·        The application number: 001-00421981

·        Describe concerns that are relevant to matters regulated by the Water Act.

·        Explain how the filer of the concern will be directly affected by the activity and/or diversion of water proposed in the application.

·        Provide the legal land location of the land owned or used by the filer where the concerns described or believed to be applicable.

·        State the distance between the land owned or used by the filer and the site in the application.

·        Contact information including the full name and mailing address of the filer.  Please provide the phone number and/or email address for ease of contact.

 Environment and Parks will review each written statement of concern, seek more information if needed and notify each filer by letter of the decision to accept or reject their written submission as a valid statement of concern.  The Public Notice of this application will also be posted on the Department’s website at:  https://avw.alberta.ca/PublicNoticesViewer.aspx

Please quote file number:   18616

Further information regarding this project can be obtained from:

Rick Schmidt, Director of Public Works

Town of Rimbey

Phone 403-843-2725

Email This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it



Statements filed regarding this application are public records which are accessible by the public and Applicant. Failure to file statements of concerns may affect the right to file a Notice of Appeal with the Environmental Appeals Board.





Counci has given first reading to 948/18 Smoking Bylaw, a Bylaw of the Town of Rimbey, in the Province of Alberta Respecting spoke free public places and workplaces.A copy can be obtained at teh Town Ocffice or on the Town of Rimbey website www.rimbey.com.

Council invites you to an open house regarding Bylaw 948/18 Smoking Bylaw with regards to tobacco and cannabis.

Date:         Wednesday, Novenber 14, 2018

Location:  Council Chambers, Town of Rimbey Adminsitration Office,

                  4938 - 50 Avenue Rimbey, Alberta

Time:        6:00 pm to 8:00 pm

Please take this opportunity to meet with Council to discuss your concerns.

icon PROPOSED 948/18 Smoking Bylaw 

 icon 948/18 Smoking Bylaw Questionnaire

October 17, 2018

Notice of Decision of the Development Officer

Discretionary Development Permit

  This is to notify you with respect to a decision of the Development Officer, whereby a Discretionary Development Permit has been issued for Cannabis retail sales use and internal tenant improvements for a cannabis store located at:

 Lot: 25, Block: 9, Plan: 0828327

Civic Address:  5005 Unit 102 - 50 Avenue.

 The Town of Rimbey Land-Use Bylaw 917/16 provides that any person claiming to be affected by a decision of the Development Officer may appeal by serving written notice to the Town of Rimbey, Box 350, Rimbey, Alberta, T0C 2J0, or by email to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it , attention the Development Officer, and an appeal fee of $250.00 within twenty one (21) days after notice of the decision is given.  The deadline for receiving letters of appeal and the application fee is November 7, 2018 at 4:30 p.m.

 Elizabeth Armitage MEDes, RPP, MCIP

Planning and Development Officer







Since the elimination of plastic bags in the recycle program the Town has been discussing the possibility of recycle containers with our contractor Cast-A-Waste.  It does not make sense to use a plastic bag to store and set out recyclables, when the plastic bag itself is ultimately garbage.


Our Contractor has suggested a light weight, blue recycle container that has a secure lid and can be easily emptied into the truck.  The contents could still be visually inspected prior to emptying and if there were some items which do not belong; they could be placed back in the container for the residents to put in their garbage.  The container he feels would meet the needs, with the least cost, is a 120 litre (32 gallon) Rubbermaid recycle container with a lid that seems to fit securely.  All residents do not have to use the same container.  Cast-A-Waste can accommodate any blue recycle container up to 120 litre (32 gallon).  It must have a secure lid.



Council is enthusiastic to offer the residents of Rimbey the opportunity to utilize blue recycle containers for the residential recycle pick up program and have passed the following motion:

 Motion 268/18

Moved by Councillor Payson to approve the use of blue recycle containers with a secure fitting lid up to a maximum size of 120 litres, with the residents responsible to purchase their own containers, if they choose.





Commencing December 1, 2017, Coffee with Council will be held on Friday afternoons, from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm at the Rimbey Municipal Library. This is a comfortable informal forum for residents to meet and chat with the Mayor and other members of Council.



Effective immediately plastic bags or plastic film

can no longer be recycled.







 Notice of Planned Procurment

The Town of Rimbey intends to participate in one or more procurments conducted by the Alberta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties between January 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018.  For further information and access to the Albreta Association of Municipal Districts and Counties tender notices, pleaser review the Alberta Purchasing Connection (ACP) website at www.purchasingconnection.ca and the MREX website at www.merx.com.





It seems that Cenral Alberta is experiencing more and more extreme weather this summer.

Please be advised, in the event of a TORNADO WARNING, issued by Environment Canada, please take immediate cover as instructed in the directive.

In the event such a warning is issued, the Town of Rimbey will be activating the siren located on the roof of the Adminstration Building.  If you hear this siren, please take immediate cover.



Do not under estimate Mother Nature, extreme weather events can happen quickly.  It is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when.  Could you and your loved ones be self sufficient for 72 hours in the event of a disaster?  Be proactive, do not wait until it is too late.

Basic Emergency Kit:

Think of ways that you can pack your emergency kit so that you and those on your emergency plan can easily take the items with you, if necessary.

Some of the items you may wish to include are: water—two litres of water per person per day, food—that won’t spoil, such as canned food, energy bars and dried foods, manual can opener , flashlight and batteries, battery powered or wind up radio, extra batteries, first aid kit, prescription medicines, infant formula, equipment for people with disabilities, extra car and house keys, cash and a copy of your emergency plan.


The Town of Rimbey has also put this document on our website for your convenience.  We wish you a safe and uneventful summer season.

 icon Emergency Guide 72 Hours

  icon Emergency Kit







Water Restriction


The Town will provide proper and responsible conservation of its most important resource by implementing the following water restrictions as authorized in Sections 2.10 and 2.11 of Bylaw 776/05.


The watering of lawns and gardens will be restricted on a continuing basis:


1.1       Occupants or owners of even numbered addresses will be permitted to water on calendar days of the months ending in even numbers;


1.2       Occupants or owners of odd numbered addresses will be permitted to water on calendar days of the months ending in odd numbers.


1.3       In the case of a water shortage caused by weather conditions, mechanical reasons or otherwise, the Town Manager has the authority to set limitations on rationing of water.  If, in the opinion of the Town Manager and/or Town Foreman, during such water shortages, any user is abusing his water privileges, the Town Manager may authorize services to said premises to be temporarily suspended.  The period of suspension shall be determined by the Town Manager, or in the absence of the Town Manager, the Town Foreman.



We thank you for your cooperation!


For more information contact:

Town of Rimbey

(403) 843.2113


April 11, 2016





Community Services Directory
Click the following link for the new edition of the Rimbey & Area Community Services Guide.
iconRimbey & Area Community Services Directory 2016




New days will be Tuesdays and Saturdays, 9:00am - 5:00pm so mark your calendars.


icon Safety is Our Responsibility and Yours





Utility bills are mailed out in the first week of each month and are due by 4:30 pm, two business days before the end of the month and can be paid by direct withdrawal, credit card, check or debit. Penalties will be applied to all accounts that have not been paid by the deadline. It is the property owners' responsibility to ensure that information is current; please make sure to let us know if you are buying or selling a property or if your banking or credit card information has changed as soon as possible. 



Dog Licenses

The Town of Rimbey requires that all dogs owned within the municipal boundaries are required to be licensed and wearing a tag. Dog licenses are affordable and ensure that Animal Services can make every effort to reunite you with your pet if ever lost. Licenses are available for purchase at the Town Office.






Government of Alberta Canada AUMA CAEP